How about having a bowl full of tasty soup on a rainy evening? Amazing right? To make a delicious soup, you need lots of ingredients. But what if you suddenly get a call from your guest saying he is on the way to come to your house but you do not have a lot of ingredients to cook a perfect dish for your guest; what will you do? What will you make? You do not have to worry. Vegan potato soup can be your savior at the point.
This is a lighter and healthier alternative to the classic recipe. This is so creamy, hearty, comforting, satisfying and full of flavor. Using a few simple ingredients, you can make this dish. You can use bacon instead of regular bacon, extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, soy milk (but any other plant milk will do), nutritional yeast instead of cheese and some lemon juice instead of the sour cream.
You also have the option of adding vegan sour cream but lemon juice can make its job and this is lighter also. In addition, you save some time as you don’t have to make the sour cream from scratch.
Prep time- 10 min
Cook time- 25 min
Vegan Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour (gluten-free if needed), you can also use whole wheat flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk of your choice, you can use soy milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
How to make vegan potato soup – Step by step
- First of all, you need to heat oil in a large pot and then cook onion over a medium-high heat until it gets golden brown. Then keep stirring it occasionally.
- If you don’t want to use oil, just add some water or vegetable stock instead.
- After that, you will have to add the flour and whisk it well until and unless this is fully cooked
- Whisk it for about 1-2 minutes
- Add in the stock slowly while whisking.
- After that, you will have to add milk, pepper and salt according to your taste and again combine it properly
- Add more or less liquid (vegetable stock/water and milk), depending on how thick you want your soup.
- The next step is to add potatoes and bring the soup to a boil
- After that, you will have to cover it and simmer for almost about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove from the heat, and then you need to add the nutritional yeast and the lemon juice and stir until well combined.
- You are also free to use the immersion blender and do 3-4 quick pulses or a potato masher to get a thicker and creamier soup. (This step is optional)
- You will also need to serve the soup immediately.
- You can feel free to use the favorite toppings to it like bacon
- Keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days
Vegan Potato Soup Nutrition:
Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 264
- Sodium: 517 mg
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Protein: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6 g
- Fiber: 8.9 g